Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Russellville, Ky

Howdy, well today started out wonderfully and quickly went sour. Actually it wasnt quickly, it was a great day all day until right there at the end of it, lol. Yesterday I delivered in Charleston, SC and quickly got another load that picked up in Huger, SC (just north of Charleston) and went to Chattanooga. It was only about 450 miles and I delivered it this morning. Once again I quickly got another load, this time it was Russellville, Ky to Ft Worth, Tx by tomorrow. Thats 185 empty miles and about 780 loaded miles. Thats a really good load. Nearly 1000 miles due tomorrow. I was psyched, ready to roll hard with it to get it there on time. The only thing that bothered me about it was that another driver turned this same load down because when he went to pick it up he found that it was too heavy to pull legally. So this bothered me the entire way here, especially since my Peterbilt weighs right at 32,000 empty, thats pretty heavy. So I get here and sure enough it was an extremely heavy load...48, 650 lbs. So I called my company and told them I wasnt going to pull that load. They agreed and the load was taken off of me. I still dont understand why my company would deadhead (no load on the trailer) me 185 miles when they knew I may not be able to pull the load. Thats a lot of fuel to burn. So here I sit. A small part of me wishes I would have pulled the load. I know how to get around the scales and I probably would have made it with no problems, but I worked hard to obtain my CDL and have worked even harder to keep it clean and that means that I take no chances with my livelyhood.

Yall take care
Jimmy

2 comments:

  1. I don't blame you at all. I would rather know that you were doing the right thing rather than just trying to make the co you work for look good. Keep on rolling !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's only a lil bit over 80K. Could ya have ran with a half a tank o fuel? I know its a pain, but if it would have got ya the load, it would have been worth it

    ReplyDelete