Sunday, June 14, 2009

Baytown, Tx

First of all I want to say thanks for reading my blog. I am new to this and I am trying to figure what to do as far as replying back to you guys. Just know that I read each comment and appreciate them greatly.

I left Knoxville early Saturday morning and did make it to Baton Rouge that night, about 640 miles. There is absolutely nothing better than a 600+ mile day and then laying down in this bunk, complete with 2 foam matress pads, and an idling 500hp deisel caterpillar engine. When I go home, I wake up many times during the night, its just too quiet. In my truck, I can sleep 8 hours and never wake up..... I woke up this morning early, walked Jack, ate me a bowl of Kashi, and hit the road headed here to Baytown, Tx (Houston). I arrived here at around 1pm, unloaded by 2, and was sitting in this truckstop by 215. I showered, ate a grilled chicken sandwhich (thats about the only decent dish TA truckstops can make, IMO), and did my laundry.

Overall it was a very uneventful trip down here fron Pa. I will take uneventful any day of the week.

I hope I get a load out of here tomorrow but this is a very heavy flatbed area and there are many many flatbeds sitting in this and nearby truckstops waiting for loads. The last time I was in this truckstop, it was snowing and I sat here 3 days waiting for a load. But that was winter and flatbed freight slows to a crawl in the winter months. I expect to sit here until Tuesday at the latest but I may get a load first thing tomorrow, who knows. I wont complain if I sit because I have been running pretty hard lately. San Fran to Reno to St Louis to Atlanta to Baltimore to Pittsburgh to Houston in just the past week and a half, not bad considering theres a lot of time spent strapping, chaining and tarping in there.

Later days

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, I adore reading about your day and your travels. You make it sound so comforting to sleep with the steady hum of the truck as it idles. Hmmmmm, I've never experienced that. I'll hold a good thought for you to get a load tomorrow with lots of miles. OK, Big Guy, you and Jack have a great week!
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your work day.....and I agree that uneventful is good :)
    I hope that you have a good rest...and get a load back towards home....but...if'n you don't find a load right away....are there any good video opportunties way down there in Texas?

    Take care of yourself and Jack....

    Prairieskyes

    ReplyDelete