Friday, June 5, 2009

Omaha, Neb

Howdy yall...I guess yall means the 2 people that might read this. I am in Omaha Nebraska on my way to Highland, Illinois which is about 30 miles east of St Louis. It has been a good trip across the country from Cali. I didnt see anymore ternaders but I did have a trailer tire blowout in Battle Mtn, Nv. While the guy was fixing my tar, he told me that Battle Mtn is a gold mining community and according to him there are several rather large gold mines in the area. I thought that was interesting. That subject came about when I asked him what people, in that town of about 2000, do for a living. I often find myself looking at these desolate communities throughout the west and wondering what people there do for a living. These towns are all over the place out there, some are no more than a few houses or trailers, maybe an old store, and some are hundreds of miles from anything. How do they live? Oh well, it was a cool trip, as usual.

I am not due in Highland until monday. I will probably make it on in to Troy Illinois tomorrow. Thats about 450 miles from here and about 25 miles from where I deliver.

Later days

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwww Jimmy! I read it and I am guessing a few others do as well!

    I think 90% of people who READ a blog don't make a comment - unless they know the blogger personally or are related. Maybe I am wrong - I dunno!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice entry. I've driven across country twice and had the same reaction. I always enjoy seeing how others live and I wonder, (when the area is so remote) what do they do for the daily tasks that I take for granted. Running out to pick up something they've forgotten at the store, how long is the drive to work, is their community school one room, what's recreation like (movies, mall, shopping)? I also, being a country girl, like a bit of being out of the mainstream. Ideally, my five-year plan is to finish my education and retire to the Keys. A secluded beach house where I could run around barefoot in a bathing suit and work from home. Thanks for the post, it really got me to thinking. You are very good at this my friend.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete