Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Montgomery, Alabama

Well I brought this load from Chicago and will deliver in the morning. It was a good trip down after a very nice visit with Jim and Janet (Keystrucker on YouTube) up in Chicago.

Yesterday after I got loaded, I was on some back roads south of Joliet, Illinois cutting across to I-57. I took the back roads so I wouldnt have to go into Chicago at rushhour to hit 57. Actually the trip into Chicago wouldnt have been bad, the bad part would have been going south out of Chicago on 57 at 5pm. So I cut across and came out 60 miles south of Chicago and missed the traffic. But while I was doing so, Jim called me and informed me that a 2 fatality accident had just happened near the Minooka Pilot where they were. He said a flatbed had rearended a bulk tanker and both were killed. I immediately thought of Brian (BTJohnson on YouTube) because he pulls a bulk tanker. I didnt really think it was him but he came to mind, and what are the chances he was in Chicago. So I get down to Effingham and stop for the day, I was at the shipper all day, big load, 2 lumber tarps. I parked and got online only to find an email from Brian saying "hey man, I see you are picking up in Chicago, I will be in Chicago today, give me a call"...So then I was like Oh Man, Brian was in Chicago. Still what are the chances but I immediately called him to make sure....A very sad story about the 2 fellow drivers who lost their lives. Everyone please drive safe!

Ok so, I deliver this load in the morning and head home (200 miles North) for a week off. Wow!!!

Later days

1 comment:

  1. Posts like this one really hit home to me, Jimmy. I have been the equivalent of your OTR now, on and off, for 30 years, about. Never really sat down and worked it all out, but it has been a bloody long time.

    Every now and then I hear of a crash that COULD involve a mate and every time it leaves you pretty cold. Actually, as the industry is so small over here, TOO often you hear of one that could be someone you know. Even worse, it happens that it IS someone you know or know quite well.

    Then, of course, are the times when it is someone who isn;t just an acquaintance, but a good mate. THEN it hits and hits hard.

    http://www2.tarcuttamemorial.com/ is one of the sites we remember our mates.

    Keep it safe, Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete